"There is a time for everything, a season for every activity under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Saturday, July 04, 2015

Yoga Thai Spa Review

At least one of the Saturday agenda got crossed out! Yay!

At about 1:00 pm, I decided to go out of the hotel and look around.


Contemplative Bob: Hmmm....What to do now...and in the future? #minion

Now who could resist this?


Php 385 for two hours of hot stone and oil/dry massage
Two blissful hours of hot stone and oil massage! I know I wouldn't get anything close to this in Manila.

For the rest of my review, please click 'Read more'.



Yoga Thai Spa is located at A.C. Cortes, Mandaue City, Cebu. I remember that this was one of the massage places recommended by my hotel way back then. I tried the regular message here before and was surprised with the low price for such a satisfying massage.



The place looked like a house which was turned into a spa. There was a receptionist at the entrance who took care of getting your masseuse for the requested service and receiving your payments after the massage. The prices were displayed on the wall and listed on the menu card. I noticed that there was a common area used probably for foot massages, while there were separate rooms for the body massages. The area was dimly lit and was generally quiet.

A few misgivings:
  • The rooms were not soundproof. You will hear your neighbor's snoring or his/her masseuse's shiatsu "claps". The instrumental music and nature sounds (bird chirping, water flowing) in the background helped drown these out. It was also a plus that the masseuses seemed to be the quiet type. I prefer that over the chatty ones. R and R, in my books, does not include being chummy with another stranger. 
  • The "dead air" when you're left alone while your masseuse reheats the stones: It happened in all the hot-stone massages that I've had so far. I think that this is something that could be remedied by a therapist who is highly experienced in doing and timing hot-stone massages. Or maybe having a high-tech tool which will constantly heat the stones at the correct temperature with no waiting time? Or maybe having an assistant designated to just heat the stones? But that may be too weird --- having two people working on you during a massage. My masseuse tried her best to minimize any downtime and covered me with a towel to keep me from getting cold. It was also good that the place is not air-conditioned (though it was airy).
  • Lack of a proper head-rest, i.e., custom hole in the bed for the head to rest during the massage to prevent straining the neck: My masseuse more than made up for this by the really good neck massage at the latter part of the two-hour session.


Post-massage, renewed appetite
Overall, I am so happy with the two-hour massage. I got the most from my 385 pesos. The quality of the massage exceeded my expectations. It was not that one consisting of spa-style gentle strokes. Instead, the two-hour session felt like the real thing --- deep-tissue massage that my aching muscles needed.

I would go back weekly if I'm only in Cebu :)



No comments: