"There is a time for everything, a season for every activity under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Sunday, May 05, 2013

Sleeping Troubles?

Hello sleepy heads and insomniacs!
Do you find it hard to sleep? I am no expert and I admit to being an insomniac for the most part of my life. Probably, you have read tons of the how-tos, do's and dont's on sleeping and this post is not about that.

I will share thoughts on my four pre-sleep buddies which have been helping me get to slumberland.
Introducing Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Tea, Zen Zest Winter Wonderland room fragrance, Alice Blue candle and Johnson's baby bedtime powder...
Yup, simple and even boring right? Enough to make me sleep more than my 40 winks ;)





Prelude to the Prelude
Our lifestyles have changed a great deal and stress has plagued us with so many ills and imbalance. In fact, this “stress” thing has become the “norm” of young and old professionals --- some even claim that if they are not stressed, they do not feel fulfilled or challenged.

On a personal note, my wake-up call came after the “usually quiet me” spoke out about this “damn if you do and damn if you don't” situation to a more experienced colleague. She then told me that we should just grin and bear it because being stressed out is part of our job description. Probably, her statement is more honest when said in its original Tagalog: “Kasama 'yan sa binabayaran sa atin”. That answer enlightened me, but probably not in the way that she wanted to. It began that inner revolution in me that simply refused to be chained to that state of mind --- if martyrdom and apathy had a child, then that situation would be the perfect daughter. I'd rather not describe it at great length; I believe you will recognize it when you're in that situation.

Well that was then, and I've decided to give up some things (in the same way that I gave up some things two years ago) to be able to have a job which allowed me some freedom --- the job description that lets me go home and sleep soundly at night (no more lingering negative thoughts on office politics, unreasonable demands, lowered self-esteem and uncertainty over values that are supposed to make up my Core). For me, challenge should not be confused with stress, and vice versa. I'll have challenge, any day.

Pre-Sleep Buddies
Pardon the lengthy prelude; I only wanted to talk about some sleeping aids which may help some of you, dear insomniac friends, who want to trick your bodies and mind into relaxed states.

These are not ground-breaking earth-shaking discoveries, okay. They are just the simple things that we may have forgotten about but still work to give our much needed bedtime prelude. These plus positivity (nothing beats positivity).

I will not discuss the beauty rituals that usually come before these pre-sleep buddies lest this post becomes too lengthy enough to deserve its own blogsite :)

Let' begin with my favorite “sleeping” tea.



As I cleanse my face, I boil some water. And then fix myself a mug of Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Echinacea Complete Care Wellness Tea (quite a mouthful for something to make you sleep).
I drop the “string-less” teabag on the mug and pour boiling water over it. As per instructions, I allow it to steep for six minutes before I remove the teabag. If I want it a bit sweet, I drop a sugarcane cube (I love RawBrown Muscovado Rocks) but normally I take it as is.

One box contains 20 string-less tea bags (I got mine from Landmark Supermarket Makati). The tea bags are string-less to help in waste reduction while the box is printed on 100% recycled paperboard --- environment friendly. Ingredients are also purchased straight from the source and helps community fair trade. These advocacies are plus points for me. The box also indicates the expiration date --- helpful information to us who wants our teas fresh.



Celestial Seasonings teas are blended in Boulder, Colorado and the company has been around for quite a while. There are other tea variants, too. You may want to learn more about them at www.celestialseasonings.com


Here are the Blendmaster's notes. Please take note of the FDA disclaimer below --- These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. I say, please consult a physician if you have a severe case of sleeping disorder.


 Sleepytime Echinacea Complete Care Wellness Tea claims to provide immune system support through Vitamin C, zinc, echinacea, elderberry, elderflower, eucalyptus and stevia.
Echinacea is a flowering plant from the daisy family; the herb and root are used for the Sleepytime tea. They are commonly called cornflowers with spiny cone-like purple to pink flowers resembling sea urchins from which it derived its name (Greek: echino). There are non-definitive studies which claim that this help treat flu and common colds though these claims are not supported by clear scientific evidence (credits to Wikipedia and medicalnewstoday.com).

Elderberry (Sambucus nigra) is used as an antioxidant, to lower cholesterol, improve vision and boost the immune system. The plant bears large clusters of small white or cream-colored flowers followed by clusters of small black, blue-black or red berries (credits to Wikipedia and www.herbwisdom.com).

My google search for Elderflower led me to fruit cordial recipes. If you're lucky enough to live where these flowers grow, you may be interested in creating your own summer soft drink concoction: www.britishfood.about.com/od/recipeindex/r/efowercordial.htm)

Stevia is commonly known as sweetleaf or sugarleaf and used as sweetener or sugar substitute (credits to Wikipedia).

Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Tea also contains chamomile, spearmint, peppermint, lemongrass, tilia flowers and orange blossoms which are widely popular elements to help in relaxation. That said, it's not just for helping ease you into sleep but will also work for those downtime moments when you want to unwind (e.g., spending Friday night at home, a lazy Saturday afternoon or an easy Sunday morning --- the best parts of the week, right?)

After the tea...
It should really be quiet (the TV playing orchestra music and set to sleep timer, or turned off).  
I pick any one of these tricks. 


Alice Blue candle (www.alicebluecandle.com). These soy candles (the wax comes from a renewable source and is biodegradable) are hand-poured and with longer-lasting fragrance. I get my candle from the Alice Blue kiosk at Glorietta (Trivia from their website: Alice Blue is a pale shade of blue and was named after Theodore Roosevelt's daughter, Alice Roosevelt-Longworth.) Hmm... now, my fave blue shade is a toss up between Tiffany Blue and Alice Blue...

My favorite scent has always been the “Berry Crumble” which is supposed to smell like Glorietta and Greenbelt malls. I'm not sure how memories of malls will help you sleep but I love Berry Crumble. I light the candle and reflect for a few minutes before I carefully turn it off by dipping the wick into the candle wax (using a metal nail pusher; couldn't find my wick stick before I left Iloilo). This way, the scent lingers in the room (as opposed to blowing the candle). Then, I smell the lovely Glorietta/Greenbelt memories and am ready for my royal slumber...
I say, listen to your heart and pick the candle scent that brings you to that carefree state. Lavender is not universal and may be overrated that we've become immune to it.

Zen Zest Winter Wonderland Room Fragrance. I spray this on the area over my bed. It smells like, well, Christmas (spicy cinnamon and cloves). I got this post-Christmas from Zen Zest's discounted offers. Again, I don't know how the scent of the most exciting season of the year can help you sleep. To each our own; I say, pick the room spray which brings back a calming memory (childhood, oranges, flowers or coffee if you must). In my case, the scent of a snow-covered forest where the proverbial Alice (in Wonderland, yes) once roamed (I made this up) is a fairy tale-ish setting I want to keep through my own dreamland.
Johnson's baby bedtime powder. Cheap thrills, yeah? I sprinkle the powder inside my pillowcases and a few more over the bed sheet. While the powder is in a lavender-colored dispenser, there is no lavender in the ingredients list; again, lavender is not universal. If you may, sprinkle some powder on your hands, rub them a bit, and spread these on your skin. We are entitled to this as babies are. Freshly washed pillowcases and bed sheets plus the smell of Johnson's trademarked NaturalCalm essences (a proprietary blend of soothing aromas and delicate essence of Jasmine Blossoms) translates to a “lalalala” lullaby for me...

Those are my pre-sleep rituals. May these inspire you to find your own. More importantly, nothing beats a positive view of life to give you peace of mind. When the day ends with lots of To Do's and uncertainties, I remind myself that tomorrow's another day; rest for now and leave for tomorrow what should be done for tomorrow.

Finishing everything in 24 hours does not necessarily mean finishing it well. There's more to life than work and deadlines so why spend every waking hour keeping tabs of what was done and what needs to be done. We need to focus on those important priceless positive thoughts (of family, friends and dog kisses) which deserve more recesses and better accommodations in our memory banks. Let's make reservations, shall we?

Sleep tight dears. Sweet dreams.

No comments: