"There is a time for everything, a season for every activity under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Charm Brush Guards


Brush guards are usually cylindrical and made of light transparent material which you can easily slip over your makeup brushes to keep them in shape.


Credits to: http://s3.media.squarespace.com

While it seemed like a really good way to keep your brushes in shape, I initially crossed it out from my list 'cause I thought that each brush guard would cost a dent in my wallet (and I have quite a number of brushes to take care of including those ones I rarely use). My Suesh brushes came with plastic covers (semi-brush guards) when I first got them but these tend to get cloudy with use or even after washing them; these are not proper brush guards per se.


How did I find Charm's brush guards? My story below just shows that life (make-up life?) is a hit and miss thing: Sometimes, you focus on finding one thing and end up with a different but better deal (*.*)



I have a makeup brush (either a kabuki brush or a short travel powder brush) in my office kit specifically for my Maybelline mineral powder. I wanted to keep the brush clean (in between washes) so I initially slipped it inside makeshift brush guards: the plastic cover it originally came with or a resealable plastic bag (the sandwich bag type). The covers got cloudy after several uses so I knew that wouldn't do.

At that time, I decided that I should get a retractable kabuki/powder brush instead. This will keep the brush clean, covered and in shape. The first that came to mind was Charm's retractable pink brushes. Another plus is that they're conveniently available at The Ramp.

I went to The Ramp to check these out. How beautiful they looked in their pink daintiness! And then...just as I have almost decided on which retractable to get...I saw this other regular brush (i.e., not the retractable one; a part of the brush set but also sold individually) wrapped in a familiar mesh-net thing...a brush guard!

I asked the sales lady if the brush comes with the guard (naïve me) or if the latter is sold separately. Obviously, I was more interested in the brush guard. She kindly informed me that this is sold separately as a set.

Ooooh, in a set, I remembered myself double-take. I inquired the price and braced myself for maybe a shocking figure. She told me that the set contains 12 pieces and it costs...wait for it...
...Php 250.

Sigh...that's pretty reasonable for 12 pieces; only about 20 pesos per piece. Good old reliable Charm!
She got a set to show me the contents and she explained further that these can be adjusted to fit any brush size. I was sold!

Here are the brush guards: the set contains six pieces of about 2.5-inch brush guards and six pieces of about 3.5-inch brush guards. You can suit the length of the brush guards depending on your brush stem length and brush sizes. For my kabuki brushes, I cut the brush guard to fit their short length. I retained the length for my other brushes.

Charm Brush Guards
12 pieces (6 pieces and 6 pieces)
Price: Php 250.00
Where bought: The Ramp Glorietta (Charm has its own little space there)
Verdict: Affordable way to keep brushes in shape

Here are my brushes with the brush guards on. =)

The advantage of this mesh style is that you can slip it over both dry and wet brushes. After washing your brushes, you can slip these over the brushes to keep their shapes as they dry.

My 2 cents :) In order to keep the brush hairs in one direction, I make sure to slip off the brush guard entirely (going outward) instead of rotating the brush guard outward and inward as you would with a retractable brush.

Either I place the brush guard on the side or slip it back only up to the part between the stem and the brush while I'm using the brush (I do the latter when I'm using my brush outside home so I won't make the mistake of leaving the brush guard behind).

I'm glad I found these brush guards instead of purchasing another retractable brush (which would have cost me Php 500++). I still have extra brush guards on reserve just in case my makeup routine ups the complicated notch. For now, I'm pretty happy with no more than ten :)

Stay beautiful dears!

Disclaimer: I am not a beauty blogger. I do not recommend or rate products per se. I only share my experiences while using them and the whole thought process behind getting, using, falling in love or hating the product. I leave the beauty blogging to the experts; in fact, I go back to their reviews from time to time though I may not necessarily agree with all of these --- What's good for her may not be necessarily good for me. I am a confessed novice in every way --- I only try to view each experience with "new eyes" and reflect some more on how beauty can be a gift that should be experienced rather than seen. So don't take my word for it --- What works for me may not necessarily work for you --- but go ahead and take that adventure! The risks we take do make our lives interesting. =)

No comments: