"There is a time for everything, a season for every activity under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Monday, May 26, 2014

My Two Cents: Cataliya Thai Herb Spa

After going around The Gallery, I saw the Cataliya Thai Herb Spa right next to Bridges Salon where I was supposed to have my haircut appointment. I saw the same "Best in Cebu" stamp displayed at the door and that piqued by interest. Here's my take on Cataliya's foot massage service.





Generally, I feel that there's that certain "pride" among Cebuanos when the service person insists on speaking the Cebuano dialect knowing full well that the customer is not Cebuano speaking. Probably, they'd treat foreigners differently. Or the "celebrities and prominent business owners" who've supposedly made this spa famous and among the best in Cebu. That does not always leave a good impression though, particularly to someone like me who understands some bits of Cebuano but only cannot speak the dialect fluently (without mixing in some Hiligaynon in the process). I can understand a Cebuano's struggles with Filipino or Tagalog as the Philippine national language but I will not mind conversing with them in English. That would be leave a very professional stamp to the service.

 
Honestly, my masseuse looked haggard and unfriendly. I thought that it would have helped if she'd smile and show courtesy. There was no proper reception person to entertain questions of new customers. I stood by myself for about two minutes before someone came.
 
The foot massage I had at Cataliya was quite similar to what I remember of the one I had in Vietnam. I wonder why it's called the herb spa as I haven't seen herbs anywhere and anytime throughout my massage and in the massage room I shared with two others.
 
The massage room was dimly lit with the relaxing herbal scents floating around. It looked like the other customers were having full body massages while fully clothed. They were already there when I came in and were not done when my masseuse declared that my foot massage was finished.


Credits: weekend.sunstar.com.ph/bestofcebu/category/beauty-and-wellness/
The massage, on its own, was excellent. Priced at Php 190 for one hour, it seemed like good value for a service that went beyond the usual foot massage. My masseuse gave me slippers to change and placed my flats on a little basket. She made sure to disinfect her hands before starting the massage. There was an alcohol on standby during the massage and was used when needed. I was seated in a comfortable reclining chair. My masseuse started with my shoulders and arms before going to my feet and legs. Since I've had a similar foot massage experience when I was in Vietnam, this did not surprise me anymore. The Vietnam massage, from what I remember, is still the one to beat. I still got great customer service even if the Vietnamese personnel had difficulty with English enunciation.
 
Back to my Cataliya foot massage, I chose the "medium" pressure and actually dosed off in the middle of the massage. I liked it that everyone (customers and service personnel) respected each others' space. No chatting and unncessary phone calls. I appreciated that the masseuse made sure to cleanse away the oil from my legs and feet so I do not end up smelling like an "old lady on herbs and spices" after the massage. My massage was capped with some more treading on my shoulders and back.
 
Overall, this was a good massage which felt thorough and soothing. It effectively relieved my body aches from prolonged desk work. Cataliya can further improve its customer service though. They can start with sincere smiles from its service personnel. That will definitely leave a better stamp to the massage experience.
Ciao dears!

No comments: