"There is a time for everything, a season for every activity under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Day 3 @ SG - Seconds (Part 2)


Here's the continuation of my "Seconds" on Day 3...:)

Art, art
I had my second dose of art supplies hoarding last March 23. This time, at Art Friend, which is located at Level 3 of Bras Basah Complex. I went there to validate the claim that supplies here are cheaper than those at Straits Art. 

Inks
There are more choices for calligraphy inks at Art Friend. I got myself two more bottles: 1 bottle of Dr Ph. Martin's Bombay Blue India Ink, and 1 bottle of Winsor & Newton Black Indian Ink (sounds posh, eh?). 

When I visited Straits Art last Saturday, I only got one bottle, a non-waterproof one at that, from a brand that I'm not familiar with (Stuart Houghton) but was recommended to me by the sales personnel. 

Art Friend ink prices are also lower (I got mine for SGD 5.99 and SGD 9.95 - waterproof) than the ones sold at Straits Art (at SGD 11.50, non-waterproof). Apples to oranges, though, since these are from different brands and in different finishes.


From Art Friend
Nikko-G nibs
Dr. Ph. Martin's Bombay Blue India Ink
Nikko nibs
Manuscript calligraphy ruler
Cretacolor pen holder
Un-labeled ergonomic wooden holder
Winsor & Newton Black Indian Ink

How about nibs and pen holders? Please click 'Read more'.


Nibs
There is less variety of nibs at Art Friend when I visited --- mostly Leonardt and Nikko nibs, which I believe are very good brands. However, the Nikko nibs are cheaper at Art Friend (2 pieces for @ SGD 3.25). Leonardt nibs are sold individually and in sets. 

The prices of nibs at Straits Art range from SGD 2.90 to SGD 4.00. But seeing the variety of nibs at Straits Art can be addictive; I would have bought one nib from each compartment if I had unlimited funds :) The meticulous one will surely find fun elements hidden in some Leonardt nibs such as "William Shakespeare" and the index finger details. Plus how often do you find a Mitchell copperplate nib? An oblique one at that. Perhaps, even after getting my hands on the elusive oblique pen holder, this Mitchell nib will remain special to me.


From Straits Art Pte. Ltd.
Stuart Houghton Calligrahy Ink in black
Nikko-G nib (Japan)
Leonardt Index Pen nib (England)
Leonardt "blue pumpkin" nib (England)
Leonardt Shakespeare nib 
(England)
Mitchell copper plate nib

Wooden pen holder in blue marble finish
Un-labeled wooden pen holder

Pen holders
At Straits Art, I got my wooden holder (in blue marble finish) for SGD 6.50 and another one with the tightening 'grip' for SGD 15. I don't exactly know how to describe the tightening 'grip' component - basically, you pull out a small lever for about 45 degrees, slip the nib into the holder, then return the small lever back to its slot to tighten. 

On the other hand, I got the Cretacolor wooden holder (also with a tightening 'grip') and ergonomic holder for SGD 6.85 each at Art Friend. 

There is more variety at Straits Art. However, if you only want something simple and affordable, the ones at Art Friend are great choices already.

Verdict
I give the ink point to Art Friend, the nib point to Straits Art and a tie for the pen holders. :) My verdict: When it comes to calligraphy, I think it's a tie overall.

But wait, how about calligraphy paper? Skip the two art supplies store, I say. Get them cheap at Popular Central or any other bookstore selling paper supplies. 

That's all dears, for my current calligraphy supplies hoarding. More 'seconds' to come!!!

No comments: