"There is a time for everything, a season for every activity under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Sunday, March 22, 2015

My Travel Essentials: Bath and Beauty

What bath and beauty essentials do I usually take with me when I travel?
The simpler the bath and beauty regimen, the better.

1. Stick to your skincare and makeup routine. 
If you have your morning and evening routine down pat, there should be no problem. They are called routines for a reason. I'd usually write down my morning and evening routine products and tools, and envision how much I need for the duration of my travel.

I feel that skincare and makeup should be the last on your list to experiment with when traveling. Your skin may have specific demands or restrictions that are only agreeable with certain skincare and makeup products. 

Although it is okay to shop around for new products, you do not want to spend the rest of your vacation or work assignment with rashes due to an unexpected allergy. I say, go ahead and buy new skincare and makeup but please reserve the rest of the trials when you're safely back home. You do not know if you'll have ready access to products safe for your particular skin type as well as medications in case of adverse reactions, especially when you're traveling to a city or country for the first time.

Here's a peek in my travel makeup pouch:
(Clockwise L-R Top to Bottom)
Beautybook pouch - free from Beautybook.ph
Slim steel watch - by Skagen
Pond's Powder Finish Day Cream (came with the Beautybook pouch)
Belo Sunexpert Face Cover SPF40
Chacott loose powder in my Beabi travel dispenser
Mario Badescu Special Cucumber Lotion
Herbench prettywhenpinched cheek and lip tint
Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner in Black Ink
Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Eyeliner in Brown
Clinique All About Eyes serum
Benefit BrowZings
The Body Shop kabuki brush
Shu Uemura lash curler
The Body Shop foundation brush
Acca Kappa wooden comb
Nichido eyeshadows and blush compact (came with the Beautybook pouch)
Ring and earrings - simple for everyday wear
Please click 'Read more' for four more tips.


2. Travel light when it comes to bath and body products.
My experience tells me that I've often over-packed my bath essentials. If you're familiar with the place you're travelling to and the hotel you're staying in, I think it's best that you buy the bath essentials there. These products are usually inexpensive and are almost always available wherever you go. Plus you do not want to lug half-empty bottles with you when returning home. Unless you'll be trekking a mountain or vacationing in a very remote island, you should be okay with minimum (to last you from the time you reach your hotel until you can locate a supermarket) or even zero bath supplies in your luggage.

Usually, hotels and even lodging houses provide bath supplies with your accommodation. If you have no special requirements for your bath products, it may even more convenient to just use the hotel supplies which are usually replenished daily. 

However, if you do have certain restrictions in this area, I suggest that you go for multitasking products such as soaps or washes that can be used for hair and body (think Lush soap, Dove, VMV Superwash) or a facial wash that is mild enough for the feminine area (Lactacyd blue which is mild for baby's skin and has the almost same ingredients as its feminine care version). 



3. Make sure to match your makeup with appropriate cleansers.
If your business travel requires you to power-dress and have a full-on makeup, make sure you packed the eye makeup remover that will remove your waterproof mascara and gel eyeliner. These removers are usually expensive and you do not want unplanned expenses which you could have spent on more important purchases.



4. Bring out those sample sizes or build up a good quality travel set.
I do not ask for sample sizes just because. Or maybe I do. But when I really like the product, I'd request for sample sizes so I can take them with me when I travel. 

I've recently seen the value of buying travel-size bottles. I get mine from Beabi but there are really good ones in Muji and a select few in some department stores. I rarely buy the usual travel sets unless I feel that the bottles included will suit my needs. I buy my bottles individually and build up my travel set depending on the duration and requirements of my travel.

You want your travel bottles to be sturdy enough for several uses and not the disposable type. Bringing the original-size bottles and lugging back the same bottles with the remaining contents might just accumulate unnecessary weight in your travel luggage. 

If you cannot invest in good quality travel bottles, you risk the splatters and leaks to the rest of your luggage. To avoid this, I use bottles specially made for travel plus two leak-proof essentials: (a) cling wrap, and (b) ziplock, or other brands with the same tight-seal concept. I seal the mouth of the bottle with cling wrap before fitting it with the bottle's cover. Just to be uber-sure, I keep all my liquids and lotions inside ziplock bags.


5. Keep hygiene aids within reach.
Toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash and alcohol are things that I always keep in my bath and beauty essentials. Sure, you can buy a toothbrush and toothpaste anywhere. But you may not find that convenience store immediately between the time you get to your hotel and your morning breath. :) Not all hotels provide these, unfortunately. For long haul flights, it's best to keep these essentials in your handbag. In travel sizes, ofcourse.


That's all dears. I hope my suggestions helped you in packing for that well-deserved vacation or exciting work assignment. Keep safe and bon voyage!

Disclaimer: I am not a beauty blogger. I do not recommend or rate products per se. I only share my experiences while using them and the whole thought process behind getting, using, falling in love or hating the product. I leave the beauty blogging to the experts; in fact, I go back to their reviews from time to time though I may not necessarily agree with all of these --- What's good for her may not be necessarily good for me. I am a confessed novice in every way --- I only try to view each experience with "new eyes" and reflect some more on how beauty can be a gift that should be experienced rather than seen. So don't take my word for it --- What works for me may not necessarily work for you --- but go ahead and take that adventure! The risks we take do make our lives interesting. =)

No comments: