"There is a time for everything, a season for every activity under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Post-Christmas: Little Red Riding Hood Meets the Big Ben

Two days after Christmas, I still haven't written any post for my blog. Must be going through some form of writer's block? I told myself that this is expected after having not done any blogging for a very long period of time other than the Instagram posts-turned-random-reflections which I've been posting at least on a weekly basis. I thought I needed some fresh air and sunshine to regain my bearings.
 
I took the bus to Canary Wharf. Sales spotted everywhere! I did some quick window shopping but unfortunately the coats I like didn't come in my size or even if they did, they were still too big for me. Note to self: Need to gain more pounds!


Jubilee - Canary Wharf Station

It was a bit cold so I had a cup of coffee (from Notes) before heading to the tube. I took the Jubilee line to the Westminster station. While waiting for the train, this "Little Red Riding Hood" theme got me out of nowhere. Maybe it was because I was wearing my favourite red coat?

Click to "Read more".




Note to the Big Bad Wolf: If you are reading this right now, take a step back and revisit your motives. If you're only fond of me for some unexplainable reason --- novelty, convenience or whatever, but you don't really know what to do with those reasons and excuses and even your fondness of me --- take your drama somewhere else. When you feel strongly about something, go ahead and say it; no need to pretend to be someone else. But if you're not sure or if this fondness will last only for as long as it works for you, please just quit playing the game. You will break my heart anyway, and I think I deserve so much more.



Let's move on, shall we? Finally got to my stop and there it was, a few yards from the Westminster station - the beautiful Big Ben!!!






The full text:
I was having some sort of writer's block and thought I needed some sunshine and inspiration so I went out and played tourist for the day. I saw him and felt my heart beat pause almost imperceptibly, as if that moment of disruption wanted to sneak past me unnoticed. And this song started playing on my head and shuffled on repeat. Oh Big Ben, what have you done? It's too late now (and too dark for a decent shot). But just the same, let's give it a try anyway. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜„πŸ˜
🎢Who can say where the road goes
Where the day flows, only time
And who can say if your love grows
As your heart chose, only time

Who can say why your heart sighs
As your love flies, only time
And who can say why your heart cries
When your love lies, only time

Who can say when the roads meet
That love might be in your heart
And who can say when the day sleeps
If the night keeps all your heart
Night keeps all your heart

Who can say if your love grows
As your heart chose
Only time
And who can say where the road goes
Where the day flows, only time🎢✉⌚❤
#onlytime #enya #bigben #touristmode #solitarymoments


Yeah, only time indeed. I will take my time.


It got dark at half past four o' clock, as it usually did these past weeks. I walked for a bit more and passed by the London Eye as well as the commemorative mark for the British Army. Slowly, I found myself heading towards Trafalgar Square where I did a quick skim of the National Gallery's museum shop before closing time.


I then walked towards Leicester Square and noticed that there seemed to be a Christmas market at the square with several stalls selling jewellery, knitted caps and accessories, candles and decors, faux snow, art and food. I went in to check out these stalls, and ended up buying the pair of clear glass earrings that I've been eyeing for months since I arrived in London. I first saw these displayed in Cards Galore near St. Paul's Cathedral and they reminded me of the same pair of earrings I had when I was starting out at work in Makati (Philippines). I kept on holding off from purchasing them but finally gave in tonight. There was a pair of large cubes and other colours as well, but I chose the clear medium-sized ones as a matter of personal preference when it comes to everyday jewellery.






I realised after hours of walking that I was famished. The  smell of grilled meat, pancakes and mulled wine in the air started to beckon to me. I found a stall selling handmade burgers and bought the Big Ben in keeping with the theme for the day. I needed something to warm me up and so I ordered hot chocolate with my burger.


The full text:
In keeping with the theme for the day, the starving little red riding hood had her revenge and feasted on this handmade Big Ben burger πŸ” + hot chocolate with marshmallows. The end.#starving #christmasatleicestersquare #Leicester

It was a bit messy to eat (the reason why I usually stay away from ordering these types of burgers) but it was really good and filling. The marshmallows on my hot chocolate melted like a dream. I never put marshmallows on my hot chocolate before but for some reason, drinking it brought back nostalgic childhood memories.


I walked further on to Bond Street and spotted some sales on stores which continued to remain open till late. I managed to score a few deals: a grey wool cap and a pair of red gloves from Accessorize, some good deals on intimate wear and tights from Tezenis, and outerwear at 50% off from Massimo Dutti in drumroll --- XS (extra small) !!!


Overall, what a productive half-day Little Red Riding Hood! Managed to meet the Big Ben in the flesh, kept myself safe, and enjoyed my little adventure. I decided to call it a night and made my way to the tube --- I took the Central Line to the Bank station and then the Docklands Light Railway (DLR), and bought some grocery items at Tesco on my way to my flat.


Merry Christmas and to everyone, good night!



No comments: