"There is a time for everything, a season for every activity under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Thursday, December 29, 2016

Post-Christmas: Revisited Portobello & Notting Hill

After some days of foggy and cloudy weather, hello there sunshine! It'll be such a waste to lounge around in my sleepwear when the sun is out today. Spur-of-the-moment decisions had to be made asap. Top of mind? Revisit Portobello and Notting Hill.


I wrote down quick notes of film locations which I wanted to visit again (obviously not all; just the memorable ones), and tried to plan my itinerary around them. However, given the short time and the call for spontaneity, there really wasn't much organisation other than (1) taking the Central Line and getting off at the Holland Park station, (2) covering as much Notting Hill locations as I can, and (3) then heading to the Notting Hill Gate station for the trip back to my flat.


If you'd like to relive some of these Notting Hill moments like I did, feel free to take this brief post-Christmas trek with me. You don't have to be a fan of the film to find an excuse to visit (or revisit).




The quiet neighbourhood of my dreams?
(From the Holland Park Station, I leisurely walked towards Lansdowne Road.)


Click to "Read more".

First stop: Rosmead Garden, Rosmead Road
I have this fondness for secret gardens and this is no exception.
Remember the 'whoops-a-daisy' moment when Anna Scott and William Thacker were trying to sneak in to this private garden?





Next stop: 91 Lansdowne Road, Notting Hill
Max and Bella's house


Imagine bringing a big star as your date to your friends' house? Something that only happens in movies maybe. This was the question that started it all, according to Richard Curtis, the film's writer: "...what it would be like if I just turned up at my friends’ house, where I used to have dinner once a week, with the most famous person at that time, be it Madonna or whomever.”


Next stop: 13-15 Blenheim Crescent
There is some confusion on the bookshop depicted in the film. The "façade" of the bookshop is at 142 Portobello while the one pictured above is the "real" travel bookshop which was the inspiration for the all-important venue where Anna and William first met, and where Anna said that famous quotable line: 'I'm just a girl standing in front of a boy asking him to love her'.
So there, I hope that clears some of the muddle. I went inside to confirm that this bookshop is indeed a TRAVEL bookshop. The travel section is hidden in a conspicuous part of the shop (left section, coming from the entrance) where I found a guy seated, idly scanning his mobile phone. I was not sure if he was a bored friend of a customer waiting for the latter to finish browsing, or one of the shop's staff or owners. I bought two books, though not from the travel section: Romeo & Juliet and George Mikes' How to be a Brit (just for kicks, nothing serious here).



Final stop: 280 Westbourne Park Road
Yes, this is William Thacker's blue front door. Another memorable backdrop to pivotal scenes: (a) William's awkward mumbling moments after he offered Anna the use of his bathroom to clean up after that "spilled orange juice" second encounter, (b) Spike's (William's roommate) 15 seconds of fame, and (c) Anna and William's unexpected reveal before the slew of paparazzi.

Side trip: 27 St Luke’s Mews 
A favourite moment from Love Actually...
 This is another film shot in Notting Hill. While this is made up of 10 interwoven  stories, my personal favourite is the one involving Juliet (Keira Knightley), Mark (Andrew Lincoln) and Peter. (Chiwetel Ejiofor). Oh, what injustice and pain it would be to fall for someone you cannot have? I wasn't sure if this was the correct location but this was where Google Maps led me. This was supposed to be where Mark confessed his feelings for Juliet with the help of 'Silent Night' and cue cards. "Enough. Enough now." That, I believe was the most heart-wrenching line in this movie. Was it open-ended or was it for closure? We can debate all we want, but admit it, this is actually more painful in real life.  

Since it was getting dark then, I thought that that was enough for now. I found a bakery in the next block - Granier and ordered a sandwich and my usual flat white.






On my way home, I passed by the Blue Door Shop where I bought my English Tea and Portobello souvenir bell last time. I noticed that the shop owners seemed to be packing up to close but enquired just the same. The nice guy was kind enough to allow me to look around when I said that I wanted to check out the inks (for my calligraphy). He even helped me decide on which set to buy considering all the choices (with nibs and penholders in them) and when all I needed was a larger bottle of calligraphy ink than the one I got from the National Gallery.


Apparently, these sets and those from the National Gallery are from the same supplier and are all Italian-made. The shop owner gave me a £9 discount which was much appreciated. We had a brief chat about calligraphy supplies not being available here in London and his daughter who is into lettering. He speaks like he is an Italian (though that was only my assumption) and while I certainly felt his disdain for Made-in-China products, I'd take that as patriotism for products made from his country (I'm assuming again that it's Italy) and his great respect for well-crafted and quality materials. I bade him good bye and happy holidays before heading off my way.


Even though it was getting dark, I felt calm and reassured as I walked along Kensington Park Road and I found my way to the Notting Hill Gate station with no problem. Even if it was only my second time around, it seemed like I already knew this place by heart (good progress on my sense of direction, lol). Portobello, Notting Hill and Kensington are, I think, some of the best places to live in if you can afford it. ;) I love the peaceful, well laid out neighbourhood as well as the markets and unique shops which sell everything that I love - arts, fresh food, books, and all sorts of lovely things.





I took the Central line and then the DLR from Bank. When I boarded the DLR train, I made sure that I got in the first coach. I felt like a child secretly giddy with the experience of a slow 'roller coaster' ride for a few minutes from the Bank station until I reached my stop --- Limehouse. Whenever you get the chance, try riding the first coach of the train/tube. Trust me, it will be wonderful. :)


Thank you for today. Nice will be an understatement. I enjoy and will always be very grateful for these simple pleasures. Ciao dears!



No comments: