"There is a time for everything, a season for every activity under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Hongkong: Shots of the Streets

Thank you Heavenly Father for answering my prayer. 
Although I didn't place this one high up on my list, You still showed me that You're the best and the coolest Father there is!

Our group worked our hearts out this season and I am fortunate to be around at this time and in this fiscal year.
We met our targets and we have the coolest partner-in-charge/boss ever.
He stayed true to his promise --- a personal initiative to reward the hard work of his team.
And that's what led us to our Hongkong-Macau weekend getaway last October 4-6, 2013.


It was good bonding time for the WRB cluster managers.
A time to leave work behind for a few days and explore another country.
A time to see each other in less guarded moments.
A time to collect adventures, realizations and "inside jokes" that will be remembered forever.

This was my first time to see Hongkong (all of the other managers have been to HK at least once). I appreciated the convenience of their transportation system and the smooth traffic (freeways and highways are nothing like Manila's EDSA lol). However, the bustling nature and the sheer volume of people walking the streets (probably at most hours of the day) are some things that I liked the least.

It may be a shopping haven for most. But I'm never the one to raid the malls or street markets on sale days knowing that a throng of shopaholics and bargain hunters will be there. I prefer to shop in quiet as much as possible and I find it hard to think and make decisions in a crowded store (although I still try when I have no choice :). And that's the reason probably that Hongkong will less likely be my dream shopping destination.

I loved our Hongkong getaway nonetheless. I'd like to share my brief Hongkong tour with you. Please click "Read more" to see my Hongkong shots (pardon the quality, as these were shot with my Supermarket-prize camera, hehe)


Hard at work: The streetfood vendors
Kind of difficult conversing with them though.
I guess, you'd just have to use sign language and point to the food you want cooked for you.
If I'd try street food, I'd probably pick the squid one.
My fellow managers got that and some more.
In my case, I had to stay away from street food for a while after just "surviving" an ordeal of bad health in the past few weeks.
Look, there's Sasa!
Those who are on the lookout for make-up/cosmetics say that
Sasa is a must-stop.
Skyscrapers to block the sun.
We walked blocks and blocks but I didn't sweat much (as I would have back in Manila).
Bring your most comfortable shoes as there will be lots of walking.
But prepare to get those shoes dirty as you will not be walking the "Ayala Avenue,
Makati"-type of streets here.
After walking and walking on Day 1 (during the "free time" portion of our itinerary),
we looked for a foot massage safely hidden in one of those little alleys.
An example of the throng of people...
And look at those
scaffoldings used for the building construction --- bamboo?
Sasa is everywhere...no worries for the beauty junkies.

Waiting for the Symphony of Lights
Starts at 8 pm
Named as the 'World's Largest Permanent Light and Sound Show' by Guinness World Records
 (http://www.discoverhongkong.com)



End of Day 1
For Days 2 and 3, I decided to ditch the picture taking. I relied on the SLR cameras of my fellow managers and our boss, and instead enjoyed Macau (Day 2) and the Hongkong City tour (Day 3). 

What a relief to be free of gadgets, and be in the moment :) I know it may be difficult to do that in this time and age of high technology but if you can afford it, please try experiencing everything first hand, with no lens to filter or auto-focus the bits of reality. It may feel awkward at first but I believe that working your five senses, unhampered with tools and lenses, will make the memories more vivid.

Ciao dears!

No comments: