"There is a time for everything, a season for every activity under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Tuesday, March 08, 2016

My Studio Fix Salon Experience (Color) - Take Two

March 8, 2016, Tuesday
It was almost exactly three years ago when I first posted my review about my Studio Fix Salon experience. Today is International Women's Day and what better time to treat myself to some well-deserved pampering? This is not exactly my second visit. I've had salon visits to Studio Fix between 2013 and now, but I felt that this visit deserves a blog post of its own. 

You can read my first Studio Fix review here.

Reservations: It was a spontaneous decision for me as it was a weekday. I didn't make any reservation and thankfully, I was still accommodated. I was asked if I already have a stylist and I told them that Hermes often did my hair color. He wasn't available at that time and I was asked if I was okay to work with another stylist, Miss Shella. I took a chance and agreed.

Expectations: A week ago, my lady colleagues and I were talking about how it was really difficult to find a trusted salon here in Metro Manila. We agreed that the price is not really directly proportional to your satisfaction. We've shared our struggles over describing the perfect "wash and wear" haircut that most busy bees like us want and need, in a way that our stylists will understand. We recounted how we often walked out of the salon, regretting our salon or stylist of choice and vowing never to come back. There were also feedback on good customer service which did not necessarily translate into the haircut and color meeting expectations. There were also inputs that you should actually stick to your stylist instead of a salon (i.e., follow him/her in case he/she changes salons).

On hindsight, I now realize that I've kept coming back to Studio Fix for the past three years since I returned to Metro Manila. I've strayed a few number of times and majority of these times, I've had regrets, so-so results or just-okay experience. One thing I've noticed is that none of these have actually pushed me to blog about my salon experience. None, except for Studio Fix. Now, that sets the bar up high. Will a change in stylist result in the same experience?

Click to "Read more".

Waiting in Line: The lady at the reception was as courteous and cheerful as in my previous visits. Since it was a weekday, I didn't have to wait that long before I was attended to. The place was almost full although not as packed as it seemed during my weekend visits.

Cut: I already had my haircut at a different salon which I will not mention here to keep the focus on the subject of my review. After chopping off my locks to a little above shoulder length, I felt it wanting of more "change". Thus, the decision to have it colored. I reminded myself to be careful with my choices though, as more chemicals may actually do my thin strands more damage. 


Initial Assessment: Miss Shella turned out to be a very professional looking stylist. She seemed friendly and approachable, too. I explained to her that I wanted to color my hair but I am concerned about my thin strands. She offered that they will use organic hair color which I readily agreed to. She also asked if I've ever had my hair colored black and I said that my hair is naturally black. The black base that she saw was actually my roots showing up after my obvious delinquency in retouching my color :) Now here goes my request: Subtle color that won't be so obvious when my hair grows out but obvious enough to actually look like I've actually had something done to my hair. Haha, I know, us women have complex ways of putting things. After my brief talk with Miss Shella, I trusted her enough to allow her free rein in the color combination.

Please click 'Read more' for the rest of my review.



Shampoo: To prepare my hair for the color treatment, I wrapped myself in the white robe provided by the salon and was led to the shampoo area. This time, it was a male assistant, JP, who shampooed my hair. Meticulous as I am when it comes to customer service, I carefully took note of seemingly minor details that can actually make or break the experience --- the right temperature of water which was not too hot or too cold, the person shampooing took care not to let the water splash through my face, and the way that the shampooing was not rushed to allow the shampoo and conditioner to actually do their job. 

Details that matter: JP, one of the two assistants, took the initiative to cover my laptop bag in plastic to protect it from spills and splatters that may happen during the coloring process. I had my warm tea, as requested, and JP was attentive enough to refill this from time to time. I was offered magazines without waiting for me to ask for these. 

Plus Massage: The back massage improved from what I remembered of my last visit. Come to think of it, the massage back then already earned high scores in my books. This time, it felt like I was treated to a professional massage. I closed my eyes and actually felt the tension on my shoulder blades (from carrying a heavy laptop) slowly fade away. Do they train their assistants to be good masseuses?

The Color: Weng, the other assistant, applied the organic color on my hair. She started with the lower part of my strands, checked the development of the color with Miss Shella and finally applied the final color on my roots.

Meanwhile, I had this cool hair steamer hovering over my hair, like a really sleek spaceship. Hahaha.


Miss Shella explained that organic color normally takes longer to develop. Thus, there were several 10-minute intervals of checking and waiting, before she finally declared the color good to go. Here, Weng was blow-drying my hair. I appreciated that she did it as gently as possible, considering my thin strands.


The end: After the final shampoo and about 2.5 to 3 hours later, the color was done. Yay! Miss Shella took me to the other side of the salon with better lighting and used another mirror to show me the rear part of my hair color. Appreciated this a lot! I loved the subtlety! It looked like I was born with naturally deep brown highlighted hair. :)

I requested the lady at the reception to please do me a favor and capture this moment, and she happily obliged :)


Post-script: The true measure of a haircut and color is 'Day 1' a.k.a. the day after the salon.

Look number one: I can go classic with properly blow-dried bob and bangs.


Look number two: Or I can go "laissez faire" --- with a few spritzes of hair mist and then just let the morning breeze air-dry and style the rest :)



Reflections: My most recent Studio Fix salon experience proved that great service should be that one that remains top-notch across the team --- from the receptionists, the assisting staff up to the stylists. This consistency can only be achieved through proper training and making sure that the core values of excellent customer service AND delivery are instilled in all employees. Kudos to Alex Carbonell and the entire Studio Fix team!!

While it may be high-maintenance or complex to be a woman, I embrace it wholeheartedly. When it comes to taking care of myself and the little details that make me happy, I spare no expense. I am a WOMAN and I deserve no less than the best. Whenever I radiate positive vibes and influence the people around me to do the same, I feel that I am doing my little part in making the world a better place.

Grosses bises,
Gen

No comments: